Keely's adventures

Friday, November 10, 2006

It is my second day in Vietnam! I am in Hoi An and it has been such a nice break from boat life. The food, the scenery, the smiles of people... these will be etched in my memory as I move on in this voyage and in my life. I will share some impressions from this time in Vietnam...

Money is a strange thing and value is so different from cost.

I am autmatically labeled as a tourist wherever I go!

People are very inventive when they need to be, and Vietnamese are GREAT at reading people. Selling is such a skill!!

Connections are everything in Vietnam. A man at a restaurant last night offered us a tour of his local fishing/ pottery village, and we brought friends along. It was obvious how intricate the web between people is, with each person contributing to the process, and each gaining something as well.

Life is on a different scale here!! We saw women who work all morning to make 500 roof tiles, and they only make $2 a day for all of them!

People are so kind and generous. I want to be more giving and loving!!

I was touched by a group of women, I think they were sisters, working together and singing as they made wontons... Apparently they supply the whole town with wontons, and they were DELICIOUS!! It was so sweet to see them working hard but with happiness and community! Nothing but smiles, laughs and innocently sweet voices.

We all have things to learn from each other, and I hope I can come again to Vietnam, to experience and be influenced by the gracious culture and happy smiles!

3 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't wait to hear more about your travels around the world. -elizabeth

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger kimberly said...

You're so inspiring. Hope we can all look at things like that...esp as we're approaching a great time of year, but a needy time of year for so many.

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Keely...I enjoyed reading your impressions of Vietnam. Good reminders for all of us and things that I've seen or experienced in other places before, but that are always powerful!
I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying yourself. I've thought of you several times because there is a Mercy Ship (christian ministry all centered on a boat) at the port near Accra and I got to tour it one night. I imagined it would be a lot like RVA in terms of tight spaces, rigid rules to enable people to live together peacefully, ... (-: I wondered how it must be for you. Anyway...nice to hear you are well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home